What to do in SF if you stay in town for the holidays
November 20th, 2018
San Francisco is at its best during the holidays. The smell of firewood creeps out of chimneys and everyone has an excuse to wear their favorite beanies. The best part, however, is when the majority of the city goes on vacation. No crowds, no lines, no traffic, no problems! Here are some of our favorite things to do when half of the city is away.
1. Get active. Go ice skating at Union Square Ice Rink or climb indoors at Mission Cliffs. You can also try something new like aerial yoga or parkour! Want something a little lower-energy? Check out, Urban Putt.
2. Eat at that elusive restaurant. Holiday weeks are the best times to get into that restaurant that you can never get into! Finally get a table at Che Fico, eat brunch at Zazie, skip the line at Tartine, or try the best hole-in-the-wall sushi at Sushi Zone.
3. Crowd-free holiday shopping. No lines at check out, no lines at the dressing rooms… What could be better? These are two of our favorite neighborhoods to shop at:
- Divisadero in NOPA: Cookin’ has all kinds of amazing second-hand gourmet appliances for the chef in your life. Get a board game from Gamescape as a gift or for a fun activity with friends & family. Topo Designs and Tanner Goods have some of the best outdoor gear in SF. That whole area has great stores so take your time and explore it all!
- Clement in The Inner Richmond: Plants from Sloat Nursery are the gifts that keep on giving! Park Life has beautiful local art, clothes, and other quirky SF tchotchkes that make great gifts. TANTRUM is the cutest little kid’s store in SF. There are also a lot of great clothing stores that are having huge sales this holiday season so don’t miss out and pop into all of them!
Whatever your plans for the holidays, just remember to enjoy San Francisco at its sleepiest!