Rules to Ride
Last Updated: 07/19/2019
In addition to the rules and obligations set forth in the Terms, Users are required to abide by the rules set forth in this Rules to Ride, which may be revised by Scoot, in its sole discretion at any time and without prior notice. By accepting the Terms, becoming a User, and using the Services, you are deemed to have accepted and agree to abide by the rules set forth below. Failure to abide by this Rules to Ride or any of the Terms may result in suspension or termination of your User Account.
“Application” means the application process which must be completed on the App in order to become a User of LEVs provided by Scoot.
“Light Electric Vehicle”, “LEV” or “Vehicle” shall mean an electric shared transportation vehicle, including but not limited to Motor-Scooters.
“Motor-Scooter” shall mean a two-wheeled vehicle powered by an electric motor and an automatic transmission.
“Orientation” means training provided by Scoot, for no additional charge, to Users to orient Users with Scoot LEVs and their appropriate use. Such training may include, but not limited to, video, animations, and other visuals with text and verbal instructions on our Site or App.
“Rate Schedule” means the rate schedule available at scoot.com/legal/united-states/rate-schedule and found on the App for your geographic location, as it may be updated by Scoot from time to time, and which is expressly incorporated herein by reference.
“User” means an individual that has submitted an Application, registered for a User Account and been approved for use of the LEVs.
“User Account” means an application-based portal provided on the App by Scoot that is used by a User to manage its account, billing information and other User information (e.g., name, address, email address, use privileges).
“User Fees” means the agreed upon fees set forth in the Rate Schedule in the App for your geographic location, and as adjusted from time to time. User Fees may be reduced or waived, depending on promotional offers.
“User Term” means the agreed upon time period set forth in an Application, and all subsequent renewal periods.
Any additional capitalized terms used herein, shall have the same meanings as given in the Terms.
2. REQUIREMENTS TO USE SCOOT SERVICES AND LEVS
2.1. In order to operate any LEV offered by Scoot, Users must meet the following requirements:
- User is at least 18 years old.
- User has a compatible iOS or Android device with access to cellular data.
- User has a valid mobile phone number.
- User has a valid email address.
- User has a valid credit card, debit card, or alternate form of payment accepted by Scoot.
- Only Users in good standing may operate a Scoot LEV. Non-Users are expressly prohibited from operating a Scoot LEV. Subletting or re-letting of the LEV to another person, even to another User, is expressly prohibited.
- Only one person may ride a Scoot LEV at a time (i.e., the driver may not operate any Scoot LEV with a passenger or passengers).
- If required by applicable rules, regulations, or laws, User has a valid form of identification such as a driver’s license, national or state identification card, or passport.
2.2. Requirements to operate a Motor-Scooter
In addition to the requirements outlined in Section 2.1, a User must also meet the following requirements in order to operate a Motor-Scooter:
- User has a valid driver’s license issued by a U.S. state or a valid foreign driver’s license and, if required, an international driving permit.
- User has completed an Orientation offered by Scoot.
- Persons over 250 pounds may not operate a Scoot Motor-Scooter, as such weight exceeds the maximum weight limit for the vehicle.
- In California, Users without a motorcycle license (M1) or moped license (M2) are prohibited from renting a Scoot Motor-Scooter for more than 48 hours at a time.
3. OPERATING A SCOOT LEV
3.1. LEV Pick-Up
Scoot LEVs are available to Users on a first-come-first-served basis or, where applicable, via reservations according to the Rate Schedule.
If a reservation is made available by Scoot, Users shall make such reservation via the App or Site in advance of use and will be billed at the time of the reservation. Reservations can be extended via the App or Site. Users may cancel or change an existing reservation via the App or Site until it expires. Users may make up to three (3) successive reservations without starting a ride. After three (3) successive reservations where a ride has not started, Scoot may deem such action “Scoot Squatting” and reserves the right to temporarily suspend a User Account.
Users using a Scoot LEV will be billed for the time they use the LEV according to the Rate Schedule posted in the App and Site.
Prior to starting a ride on a Scoot LEV, User must inspect the LEV for evidence of damage and disrepair (e.g., obvious dents, flat tires, out of service brake lights, turn signals, and working brakes). If any damage or disrepair is discovered, User must notify Scoot immediately to avoid being held responsible for such damage or disrepair. If User fails to report any evidence of damage prior to using the LEV, User may be liable for the cost of repairing the LEV. For User’s own safety, User is prohibited from operating a Scoot LEV if any of the following equipment is not in good working order: tires, brakes, handlebars, lights and signals, or mirrors.
3.2. LEV Operation
Users must operate the LEV in accordance with the Orientation received and any operation manuals provided by Scoot.
User must notify Scoot immediately in the event that the LEV: malfunctions; is damaged; or is stolen. In such an event that, through no fault of User, the LEV malfunctions or is damaged to an extent that it is no longer serviceable and User is no longer able to return the LEV to its designated location or the LEV is stolen, the User may use an alternate form of transportation, like a taxi, and Scoot will give the User a ride credit of up to $10.
Users are responsible for all charges and costs incurred, and any damages, related to the LEV from the time a User activates the LEV until the LEV is returned and secured at its designated storage spot.
User is responsible for any violations, including but not limited to traffic violations incurred, including fines for late payment and any processing fees, due to User’s use of a Scoot LEV. User agrees to pay for all violations incurred. Such violations must be reported to Scoot as soon as reasonably possible, but in any event, in advance of the deadline to respond to the notice of violation. If User fails to pay for any violations incurred, and Scoot pays such violations, User agrees that Scoot may charge User’s payment method on record in accordance with the Terms.
3.3. LEV Drop-Off
User must return the Scoot LEV to a Scoot parking location with available parking selected via the App, secured, clean and in good working condition, and plug the LEV into a power outlet if one is available at the Scoot parking location.
User is responsible for ensuring that the Scoot LEV retains enough charge to be returned by User to its designated location during a User’s use of such LEV. If User fails to so ensure, User will be solely responsible for the reasonable cost incurred by Scoot to return the LEV to its designated location.
4. PROHIBITED USES.
Scoot LEVs shall not be used as follows:
- By anyone not wearing a helmet;
- To propel or tow any vehicle, trailer, or other object;
- To instruct any person in the operation of a Scoot LEV (send them to Scoot’s in-person orientation);
- To “lane split” in moving traffic – riding between lanes of traffic or lanes of traffic and parking in order to pass other vehicles while those vehicles are also moving;
- To ride a motor-scooter in designated bicycle lanes;
- To transport animals of any kind or nature, living or otherwise;
- During a race, competition or to perform tricks;
- For the purpose of transporting people or operating a taxi service;
- By a User while under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- During the commission of a crime or other illegal activity;
- In a negligent or abusive manner or for any use outside the scope of a Scoot LEV’s intended purpose (violating a traffic law, or receiving a ticket in an accident is not automatically a violation of this provision, but may be an indication that a violation of this provision has occurred);
- By anyone who has provided Scoot with false information in order to become or remain a User;
- Outside the boundaries of the service area, on roads with speed limits over 35 MPH such as freeways or grade-separate highways, on unpaved roads, or on sidewalks, in the case of a Motor-Scooter in bicycle lanes;
- To carry over 40 pounds of cargo using a Motor-Scooter;
- While there is inclement weather, including heavy rain, snow, electrical storms or strong wind, which make it more dangerous to operate a Scoot LEV; or
- While texting, emailing, using a cell phone, or otherwise using a mobile device other than to operate the Scoot LEV that may distract from driving safely or otherwise engaging in any activity that may be prohibited by law.
The foregoing list is not intended to be exhaustive and any unreasonable or inappropriate use of a Scoot LEV, as determined by Scoot in its sole discretion, or any violation of law will be deemed to be a violation of these Rules to Ride.